Your Daily Mindjob
This is my personal blog where I'll offer up some political straight talk as well as thoughts on technology and pop culture. That should give me plenty to talk about. The world can give you one heck of a mindjob. Think like me and get your daily dose.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Fibromyalgia is real" commercial

Yeah. I know it's real. Who told you it isn't? What the hell is the point of your commercial? The medical community accepts fibromyalgia as a diagnosis. Anyone who tells you it isn't real obviously doesn't have a degree in medicine. Here's the kicker though. Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion. That means we've exhausted all other investigations looking for another diagnosis, including any kind of somatization disorder. It really could be all in your head. Yes. That is an actual diagnosis too. Yeah it's unfortunate that you're in so much pain. There is no easy set of guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of fibromyalgia.

If you want to diagnose yourself, skip the trip to the doctor and deal with it on your own. If you want to know what's going on with you, docs are probably going to be able to figure it out. Sure there are some piss poor physicians out there who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Most of the time, however, they are on the level. Don't fight them tooth and nail when they tell you a professional opinion. Fibromyalgia is not an easy diagnosis to make.

What is wrong with this country???

Yes I have met patients with this diagnosis. I've listened to them and even know a few things that have worked to help relieve some of their pain.

A Useful Link
Diagnosing and Treating Fibromyalgia in a Patient With Rheumatoid Arthritis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I will not sit here and entertain the rants of just any visitor that comes along. Bloggers generally want visitors that can read a post and both improve and expand on ideas, not debate them. I am looking for comments that advance thought. Insight is more productive than an insult. Be productive, not disruptive. Adding to a discussion you disagree with in a constructive manner allows the opportunity to get a feel for a view you may not have fully understood. I can pull any chucklehead off the street who disagrees with me. Don't be a chucklehead.

Comments are moderated and will not appear until I approve them.