Your Daily Mindjob
This is my personal blog where I'll offer up some political straight talk as well as thoughts on technology and pop culture. That should give me plenty to talk about. The world can give you one heck of a mindjob. Think like me and get your daily dose.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Man assaulted for wearing an Obama t-shirt

Saturday, December 6th, 2008
On Bert-Kouns and I-20 in Shreveport, a man was attacked by a group of people for wearing an Obama shirt. According to the victim, the men who attacked him were yelling "F- Obama" among other things. It happened too fast for him to really identify his attackers. The news also reported that the gas station attendant took down a license plate number.

Kaylon Johnson was at a gas station on Bert Kouns when a group of men began taunting him before attacking. Johnson stated that the attack was unprovoked. His injuries appeared to be limited to his face from the news footage. He had periorbital swelling and suffered a fracture to the orbit. Surgery is planned for later this week. The local news coverage has been kind of poor so far. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Our local news regardless of the station flat out sucks.

It is my understanding that Kaylon Johnson recently opened the Obama Shop where he sells Obama related merchandise, including t-shirts. He was also apparently part of the grassroots support of Barack Obama in the area.

Welcome to Louisiana. Anyone out there still cocky enough to have southern pride?

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Man-says-attack-was-racially-motivated-21301/

Read more at sbc360.blogspot.com
http://sbc360.blogspot.com/2008/12/exclusive-obama-supporter-beaten-by.html


The day I read about the shooting at the church near Knoxville, TN, I knew something like that would happen here eventually. This is why I don't talk politics with anyone I meet in this town. This is why I don't put any bumper stickers on my vehicle. This is why I blog with anonymity. As a resident of Shreveport, I know how strong the redneck conservative voice is down here. It's scary, really, to have to live here and I'm white. I could easily become a target of this sort of hate.

Shreveport PD is investigating, but I am not confident in their work. If you recall, the Shreveport Police Department has been involved in at least two national headline-worthy stories. The first was when Airman Elio Carrion was shot while on leave from Iraq. The incident was videotaped. There was a police chase where Carrion was a passenger. As Carrion began to obey orders to get up, the officer shot him. The second event occurred more recently. Angie Garbarino was pulled over for a DWI and while in police custody, was apparently beaten off camera. One minute she was sitting in a chair, and the next, she was lying in a pool of blood on the floor. The Shreveport PD is not exactly a by the book bunch.

12-12-2008 - An Update
According to KSLA News 12, the FBI is investigating this case. Johnson has undergone two surgeries to repair his eye socket, nose, and tear duct. There is now a fund to help with his health care and legal bills. A candlelight vigil will be held on December 18 from 7 to 8pm on the steps of the Louisiana State Capitol in Baton Rouge. More info on the vigil is available through the Barack Obama web site.

Steve Hall, a senior agent with the FBI Shreveport office is asking anyone with information related to the incident to call the FBI at 318-861-1890 or the Shreveport PD at 318-673-7373.

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=9479629&nav=0RY4Qi7R

I'll try to stay on top of this story, although I will be very busy until Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I will not sit here and entertain the rants of just any visitor that comes along. Bloggers generally want visitors that can read a post and both improve and expand on ideas, not debate them. I am looking for comments that advance thought. Insight is more productive than an insult. Be productive, not disruptive. Adding to a discussion you disagree with in a constructive manner allows the opportunity to get a feel for a view you may not have fully understood. I can pull any chucklehead off the street who disagrees with me. Don't be a chucklehead.

Comments are moderated and will not appear until I approve them.